Peace is defined as a state of tranquility. Although the words joy and happiness are often used synonymously, according to Harvard Medical School “happiness technically refers to the pleasurable feelings (emotions) that result from a situation, experience, or objects, whereas joy is a state of mind that can be found even in times of grief or uncertainty.” Every human is destined to face difficult times throughout life, which is why learning to find joy during difficulties is essential. Consider the following suggestions to help you find joy in your daily life and improve your outlook when times are tough:
- Shift your focus: Rather than perseverating on your difficult circumstances and holding them at the forefront of your mind, shift your focus to more positive thoughts and concentrate on what brings meaning to your life.
- Try something new: Humans are hard-wired to experience joy when experiencing novelty, so try learning a new skill, do a challenging puzzle, tackle a difficult recipe, etc.
- Explore relaxation methods: Consider trying meditation, yoga, reading, listening to music, journaling, etc. to help quiet your mind. Data shows that meditation can help lower blood pressure, reduce feelings of anxiety and depression, improve insomnia, and more.
- Breathe: Research has found that practicing deep breathing techniques can effectively help with relaxation, stress management, control of psychophysiological states, and improve organ function.
- Eat nutritiously: food is the fuel one’s body needs to sustain itself. Eating healthy snacks and well-balanced meals can help give your body the essential minerals and nutrients required to function at its best.
- Exercise or engage in movement regularly: The Academy of Neurological Therapy asserts that “exercise has been shown to help improve and prevent many conditions, including: weight management, stress levels, emotional regulation/ mood, memory, attention, strength, endurance, balance, flexibility, and blood pressure regulation.”
- Laugh: Empirical evidence shows that laughter can boost one’s immune system, ease pain, enhance relaxation, reduce depression, and alleviate stress.
- Stay social: People that maintain social connections are generally healthier than those who lack a support network.
- Try changing your routine: While routines often make us feel a sense of security and safety, breaking up the monotony with a little change of pace can perk up a tedious schedule.
- Give back to the community: Dedicating oneself to others through activities such as volunteering produce greater joy than focusing on oneself.
Learning to find joy in your day-to-day experiences can enhance and protect your mental health as well as improve your overall quality of life.
Treatment In Calabasas
Calabasas is a city in California. It is a well-known suburb of Los Angeles, located west of the San Fernando Valley and north of the Santa Monica Mountains. Over the past decade, the city of Calabasas has grown in its reputation for luxury as well as for privacy which makes it a hidden gem for residential living for society’s elite, and one of the most desirable destinations in Los Angeles County. It is also home to a plethora of highly qualified mental health clinicians providing an array of therapeutic services and treatment options.
The information above is provided for the use of informational purposes only. The above content is not to be substituted for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment, as in no way is it intended as an attempt to practice medicine, give specific medical advice, including, without limitation, advice concerning the topic of mental health. As such, please do not use any material provided above to disregard professional advice or delay seeking treatment.